On parle français
At Otley All Saints our chosen second language is French. It is taught to all out Key Stage 2 children.
Our aim is to develop learners who will have an ability to use the French language and appreciate French culture as well as to foster an interest in, and understanding of, other cultures and languages.
Pupils are taught to:
- listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
- present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
- understand basic grammar
Years 3 and 4 are taught French by Mrs Marston. Year 3, every Friday afternoon when they return from swimming and Y4 for one session each week for the second half of each term. Y5 are taught by their class teacher, Mrs Morley and Y6 by Miss Rosillo, a languages specialist from Prince Henry's Grammar School every Wednesday afternoon.
In all classes